Sign & Create White House petitions at petitions.whitehouse.gov.
How to Petition the White House
Speak out, America! The First Amendment enshrines your right to petition the US government. In other words, you have the right to make a formal request.
Here we explain how the government website petitions.whitehouse.gov helps people ages 13 and up post new White House petitions.
If a petition receives 100,000 signatures within 30 days of creation, the White House must reply within 60 days.
Five Steps Of A White House Petition
1) The first step is creating an account at petitions.whitehouse.gov. You will need to verify your email address.
2) Next you’ll choose from five categories. Each petition category starts with the phrase “We the People ask the Administration to…” Two examples:
– “We the People ask the Administration to tell us what the federal government is doing about an issue.”
– “We the People ask the Administration to change an existing Administration policy.”
3) The most difficult step is stating your goal and details.
– Your petition goal has a 120-character limit.
– Details about your goal have an 800-character limit.
Plan carefully and proofread! You won’t be able to edit the petition once it’s published.
4) You may add up to three tags to help visitors find and quickly understand your White House petition.
5) If your petition is approved, you will receive an email with a link to your post. You can start promoting your White House petition page immediately.
Tip: If/when your petition receives 150 signatures, it will show up in public search results on the site. To make the most of your petitioning opportunity, have a network of like-minded citizens ready to pounce when your petition becomes active.